Filming in Squamish
Location and Locations!
We’re closer than you think, and we’re in the Regional Tax Credit Zone. Squamish is a short 30-40 minute drive from West Vancouver. Did you know it’s often faster to drive from West Vancouver to Squamish than to drive across the city?
Our unique location offers unparalleled scenery, and our rich history and recent development give us both small town and modern west coast looks. Our abundant parks, forests, mountains, cliffs, and rivers provide endless natural settings. Rural, urban or remote wilderness settings can all be found within minutes of town, and all easily accessible.
Whatever your script calls for, you can find it in Squamish. Have filming questions, looking for suggestions, or just want to run an idea by us to see what’s possible? Contact us.
We want you to film here!
The District of Squamish has long-established policies that ensure fast and straightforward permitting. But being a ‘film friendly’ town goes far beyond that. Our businesses and neighbourhoods have established a reputation being welcoming and accommodating to productions of all sizes. Squamish is also home to a large community of talented industry professionals.
One Stop Shopping
The District’s film contact can help you find the perfect location, contact information for properties, facilities and services, and coordinate with other agencies.
Planning Your Dates & Locations
At any given time, there are many capital projects and events in Squamish that may affect dates and locations for filming. Please visit Projects & Initiatives for upcoming projects within the District of Squamish (including major capital upgrades that could impact road access) and our Events Calendar. You will also be required to meet all Traffic Regulation Bylaw requirements if on municipal property.
If your production is entirely on private property, you will only need a business licence.
If your production uses any municipal property, including roads, sidewalks, parking lots, etc. or needs access to services such as bulk water, you will need to:
- Complete a Filming Application for all filming in the District of Squamish (no fee)
- Complete a Licence Agreement if you plan to film or stage on municipal property including lands and roads (no fee)
- Provide a $5,000 security deposit
- Provide a copy of $5 million Commercial General Liability insurance naming the District of Squamish as additional insured
- Have a current Business Licence - to apply, please complete a Non-Resident Application and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org (fee is $125 per year)
- Apply for a Work Permit for the use of roads (lock-ups; parking stalls), sidewalks, and for street closures (no fee; one required per location)
- Apply for a Bulk Water Permit (only if applicable; access to fire hydrants is restricted)
- Apply for a Noise Exemption Permit (only if applicable; requirements and fees vary - please refer to the Noise Regulation Bylaw for more information)
Squamish is a Bear Smart certified community. Help keep our wildlife wild and our community safe by following our Wildlife Attractant Bylaw. Please click here for a summary of requirements and resources.
A local pool of talented film industry workers reside in Squamish. Professionals include costume designers, grips, lighting specialists, actors and actresses, stunt men and women, special effects technicians and photograghers plus more. Please consider hiring locally. Contact our film office for a list of contact details and resources. For local residents who work in the film industry, if you would like to be included on this contact and resource list, please forward your contact details and services by email to the Squamish Film Collective.
Contact us at 604.815.5043 or email@example.com.
Download the film package.
For more information on locations to film in Squamish, including listing your property (if you are a Squamish land/homeowner), please contact Creative BC.