Squamish is one of the fastest growing communities on the Canadian west coast, for good reason. Renowned for its exceptional outdoor recreation opportunities ranked among the best in North America, Squamish offers an outdoor-centric lifestyle second-to-none. A $600 million dollar highway provides for a 45-minute drive to Vancouver or Whistler and multi-modal transportation infrastructure moves cargo to major markets worldwide. Revitalization efforts of the Downtown and waterfront areas offer opportunities for new and unique commercial development.
There are many reasons to make Squamish the place for your business investment:
- The small-town setting, spectacular natural environment, and world-class outdoor recreational opportunities make for an incredible lifestyle that few places can offer.
- Squamish is blessed with natural assets that make playing outside famous here. "Hardwired for Adventure", there is no other place where you can enjoy as many outdoor recreation pursuits in such close proximity to your doorstep. It is not uncommon to bike single track, rock climb one of the many easily accessible crags, or kite surf the consistent winds - on your lunch break. And if you can’t fit it in at lunch time, it's right there after work!
- The people of Squamish are equally passionate about their community as they are about the outdoors. Besides the work and play opportunities, the strength of Squamish’s lifestyle comes from the community that is made up of diverse, talented and passionate people dedicated to the community’s health and well-being.
- Young, educated, adventure-driven people are flocking to Squamish for a change of lifestyle, and they are finding it. Squamish has had one of the fastest growing population growth rates in the Province of B.C. growing at 15% over 5 years to a population of 17,160 at the last census (anticipated to be close to 20,000 in 2016).
- The median age in Squamish is 37 and 63% of the population is under the age of 40.
- At the last census, the youth population in Squamish (under 14) was also the fastest growing in the Province. The average household income in Squamish is over $71,000— approximately 8% higher than the B.C. average (2006 census).
- The community is ideally situated half way between the world class destinations of Vancouver and Whistler.
- As areas battle with congestion and affordability, Squamish promises room to breathe and a coveted live-work-play lifestyle.
- Squamish offers all the benefits of a small town atmosphere yet enables easy connection to neighbouring economies of Vancouver or Whistler.
- Squamish is home to Quest University Canada, a progressive, independent liberal arts university that offers a variety of benefits to the community through educational programs, lecture series, and student experiential learning opportunities, to name a few.
- A spectacular $600 million-dollar highway serves close to 9.5 million people annually and provides for a scenic 45 minute drive time to Vancouver or Whistler on one of North America’s most scenic coastal routes.
- Squamish offers access to unique multimodal infrastructure including rail, highway, and a deep sea port connected to overseas industrial investment opportunities.
Open for Business
- The District of Squamish is dedicated to providing an attractive and welcoming business climate for investment.
- The District’s Business Retention and Expansion Program connects with local business owners and operators to enhance relationships and facilitate support where appropriate.
- The District of Squamish works in partnership with local businesses and the Squamish Chamber of Commerce to foster a business environment that supports both growth and success.
If you are considering a business investment, the Economic Development Office is your first point of contact. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.