Woodfibre Liquefied Natural Gas
- February 9, 2017: The Environmental Assessment Office invited the public to comment on an application for an amendment to the Environmental Assessment Certificate granted to Woodfibre LNG on October 26, 2015, for the construction and operation of the Woodfibre LNG Project. Deadline for submissions: March 10, 2017.
- March 1, 2016 - the District of Squamish submitted its response to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency on an analysis of the anticipated greenhouse gas emissions associated with the proposed Woodfibre LNG Project. View the response. The District's official response to the Environmental Assessment Office submitted April 30, 2015 was also submitted (linked below).
- February 10, 2016 - The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency invited the public to comment on an analysis of the anticipated greenhouse gas emissions associated with the proposed Woodfibre LNG Project, located 7km southwest of Squamish, B.C. Deadline for submissions: March 1, 2016.
- September 16, 2015 - Public Comment and Open House announced on Addenda to supplement FortisBC's application to the Environmental Assessment Office. Open House to take place at the Sea to Sky Hotel in Squamish on October 7 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Public comment period to run September 24 to October 15, 2015.
- September 14, 2015 - FortisBC announced alternative design options meant to avoid surface disturbances in the Squamish Estuary and Skwelwil'em Wildlife Management Area, and to relocate the proposed compressor station outside of the urban setting in Squamish. View the two Addenda on the Environmental Assessment Office project website.
- April 30, 2015 - the District of Squamish submitted its official response on the WLNG and FortisBC pipeline projects to the Environmental Assessment Office (EAO).
- Between March 9 and 23, 2015, the District of Squamish hosted a two-week community consultation to inform Council on the opinions of the community prior to Council submitting an official response on the projects to the EAO. View the report from this consultation, which was presented to the community on April 13, 2015.
- February 25, 2015 - the District's Woodfibre LNG Community Committee presented to Council at the West Coast Railway Heritage Park Roundhouse. The meeting was streamed live and the video is available here viewing. Members of the public also had the opportunity to ask questions. View the PowerPoint presentation from the event.
- February 23, 2015 - the Environmental Assessment Office extended the public comment period for the Woodfibre LNG and FortisBC application:
- Woodfibre LNG comment period now closes March 23, 2015
- FortisBC comment period now closes March 27, 2015
- Click here for how to submit comments to the Environmental Assessment Office.
- January 2015 - Woodfibre LNG and Fortis BC submitted formal applications to the provincial Environmental Assessment Office (EAO). The applications can be viewed here:
- September 16, 2014 - the District's Woodfibre LNG Community Committee presented an interim report to Council. A video archive of the meeting is available (please click here). Committee and staff presentations are available below:
PROJECT INFORMATION AND LINKS
Woodfibre Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) is proposing to locate a small-scale LNG processing and export facility on the Woodfibre Pulp and Paper mill site, located in Howe Sound, approximately seven kilometres southwest of Squamish. The facility would have a storage capacity of 250,000 cubic metres and a production capacity of 2.1 million tonnes of LNG per year.
To support the Woodfibre LNG project, FortisBC is proposing to expand a portion of its existing natural gas distribution system. This project is called the Eagle Mountain - Woodfibre Gas Pipeline Project.
The District of Squamish formed a Community Committee to help staff objectively assess the proposed Woodfibre LNG project and provide input to both District Council and the project proponents as the proposed project progresses though its review processes.
Provincial Environmental Assessment Process
The proposed Woodfibre LNG project submitted its application to the EAO on January 12, 2015. The provincial Environmental Assessment Office public comment periods are now closed. Further information on the Environmental Assessment Office process and Working Group information is available here.
District of Squamish Council Response
Council required further community input before it submitted its official response on the WLNG and the FortisBC Pipeline projects to the Environmental Assessment Office on April 30, 2015. Input gained on both critical issues and community values through a Community Consultation complemented the District’s Community Committee work on the technical aspects of the project. The District conducted a community consultation process March 9 to 23, 2015.
Important Links/Community Resources:
Environmental Assessment Office - Project Info - Woodfibre LNG
Environmental Assessment Office - Project Info - FortisBC/Eagle Mountain
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency - Project Information Centre
Woodfibre Liquefied Natural Gas company website
FortisBC - Eagle Mountain Woodfibre Gas Pipeline Project
VIDEO: Proposed Mount Mulligan Compressor Station