Q: How do I dispute my ticket?

A: Bylaw Enforcement Notices (Tickets) or Municipal Ticket Informations must be paid or disputed within 14 days of the ticket being issued or a deemed conviction will be entered and the full ticket amount will be due.

Please note that we do not accept ticket disputes over the phone and the clerical staff operating the counters cannot address your disputes in person. All ticket disputes must be made in writing as directed on the reverse side of your ticket.

Q: What if I don't want to provide my name on a complaint?

A: You must identify yourself when making a complaint as the District will not accept anonymous ones. The identity of any complainant is confidential unless the complainant has agreed to be identified or unless an order has been made by the Provincial Freedom of Information Commissioner. In almost all cases, the Privacy Commissioner has sided with municipal policy and not allowed the release of complainant information. It is your choice, but if you choose to remain anonymous, we will not act on the information unless we believed the public would be at risk if we didn’t respond. 

Q: What happens after a complaint is made?

A: The complaint is reviewed to determine if it is valid and related to District Bylaws. If it is, a file is created and assigned to a Bylaw Enforcement Officer. In some cases, the complaint is valid, but it relates to a law that is administered by another government agency. In that case, you will be provided with contact information for the other agency.

Q: How long does it take to get compliance?

A: Depending on the specific circumstances, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer will negotiate a reasonable compliance plan and time for voluntary compliance. The compliance plan may accommodate unusual circumstances (such as seasonal or financial constraints or personal situation) that means a property owner is given extra time to comply. 

Q: Does anyone check back to confirm compliance?

A: Yes. Bylaw Enforcement Officers inspect to confirm that voluntary compliance has taken place before closing a file. However, in some instances, a property owner will violate the bylaw again at a later date and a new complaint may be necessary to reopen the file. 

Q: When will legal action be taken to gain compliance?

A: If it becomes obvious that voluntary compliance is not occurring, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer may either issue tickets or recommend that the District approve legal action to acquire a court order to gain compliance.

Q: Does every violator get time to comply?

A: Not necessarily. If the violation is serious or ongoing, the District may take immediate legal action.

Q: Does every violation and complaint get the same priority?

A: No. Investigations involving risk to public safety or harm to the environment are given the highest priority. Other investigations are ranked in the order they are received.

Q: If I contact a Councillor about a violation will a Bylaw Officer investigate?

A: While any Councillor will be interested in your concerns, they will refer you to the Bylaw Enforcement team if you wish to make a formal complaint. Please contact the Bylaw Office directly to outline your concerns. 

Q: Is the District required to enforce its bylaws?

A: No. If this was a legal requirement, it would require on-going patrols and considerably more resources at taxpayers’ expense. Council adopts an annual budget for bylaw enforcement that it considers adequate for the job, yet affordable for taxpayers. Bylaw enforcement activities take place within the limits of the District’s annual budget. 

Bylaw enforcement is primarily complaint driven, but our officers proactively patrol the community to detect violations as well. Policies developed by Council give the bylaw enforcement team additional direction about bylaw enforcement priorities to ensure that the needs of the community are being met.