Fire Permits

Effective at noon on Friday, September 3, 2021, campfires are permitted in portions of the Coastal Fire Centre, including Squamish.  Category 2 and 3 open fires remain prohibited.

Category 2, and Category 3 open fires and the following activities are prohibited:  

  • The use of fireworks 
  • The use of sky lanterns 
  • The use of burn barrels or burn cages of any size or description  
  • The use of binary exploding targets 
  • The use of tiki and similar kinds of torches  
  • The use of Chimineas  
  • The use of outdoor stoves or other portable campfire apparatus without a CSA or ULC rating 
  • The use of air curtain burners in Cariboo, Coastal, Northwest, Prince George, and Southeast Fire Centres   

 To report an unattended campfire or open burning violation call 9-1-1

To report a wildfire call 1-800-663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cell phone.  

In order to maintain fire safety within the District of Squamish boundaries, you are required to obtain a permit authorized by Squamish Fire Rescue for the activities listed below.

Click here to apply for a permit.

Campfires are for the personal enjoyment of a fire by friends and family on residential property. If you are not the property owner, written consent must be submitted to the Fire Chief for review and approval of permit.

The following are strictly prohibited within the District of Squamish boundaries.

  • Fires in any public space (ie: riverbanks, mountainside, beaches).
  • Open Air Burning, including but not limited to, yard waste, garden debris and construction materials.


Fireworks Permit

Residents are reminded that fireworks are no longer permitted except for special celebratory holidays such as Halloween and New Year's Eve, at the discretion of the Fire Chief.

  • Permit applications will become available close to the holiday date.

Wood Burning Appliance Permit

All wood burning appliances (ie: woodstoves, fireplace inserts, etc.) within the District of Squamish require a permit. Appliances must be inspected by a Wood Energy Technology Transfer (WETT) certified technician. In order to obtain your permit you must submit a copy of your WETT certificate, along with two digital photographs of the installation, to Squamish Fire Rescue. Cost of permit is $20.00, payable by cash, credit, debit or cheque.

If you require more information, please contact our office at 604.898.9666.