Voting Information

When and where do I Vote?

  • November 15 - 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
  • Brennan Park Recreation Centre, 1009 Centennial Way, Squamish

Special Voting Opportunities will be held on General Voting Day, November 15, 2014, available for patients, live-in residents and staff admitted, living or working on that day.

  • Squamish General Hospital, 38140 Behrner Drive, 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
  • Hilltop House, 38146 Behrner Drive, 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
  • Squamish Senior Citizens Home Society, 38201 Third Avenue, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.

What if I will be away on Voting Day?

Advance Voting Opportunities will be provided on:

  • November 3 -  8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    (Library Meeting Room – 37907 2nd Avenue)
  • November 5 – 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
    (Library Meeting Room)
  • November 8 – 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
    (Seniors' Centre – 1201Village Green Way)
  • November 12 – 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
    (Library Meeting Room)

Can I get help when I vote?

If you need help with voting, you may ask the Election Official in charge at the voting place to assist you.  You may also bring someone with you to the voting place to help you vote.  This person must complete a solemn declaration to preserve the secrecy of your ballot, to mark the ballot according to your wishes and to not attempt to influence how you vote.  The declaration is available at the voting place.

If you have difficulty reading or writing English, you may bring a translator to assist you in the voting process.  The translator must complete a solemn declaration of assistance in order to provide translation assistance.  The declaration is available at the voting place.

If you are unable to enter the voting place, you may ask for assistance to vote outside the voting place (curbside voting).  It will be necessary for you to bring someone with you who can advise the election officials that you need help outside the voting place.

I don’t live in the District of Squamish but I own property there, can I vote?

Yes, if you qualify as a non-resident property elector.  To qualify, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen;
  • be at least 18 years old on voting day;
  • have lived in British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before voting day;
  • be the registered owner of real property in the District of Squamish for at least 30 days immediately before voting day;
  • not be eligible to vote as a resident elector;
  • only register in relation to one piece of property;
  • have not been disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other Act from voting in an election or be otherwise disqualified by law.

If more than one person owns the property, only one owner may register and that person must have the written consent of a majority of the other owners.

Non-resident property electors are required to fill out an application for registration as a non-resident property elector and provide proof of ownership of the property showing the names of all owners (ie. Land Title Certificate), two pieces of identification confirming identity and a non-resident property elector consent form indicating consent of a majority of the registered owners, if there is more than one owner.

Non-resident property electors are encouraged to fill out the application and produce the required documentation at Municipal Hall, 37955 Second Avenue between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday to Thursday and Fridays 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. prior to Friday, November 14, 2014.  Once the application process is complete, non-resident electors will be issued a certificate to register as a non-resident property elector which they can produce along with their identification confirming their identity at time of voting.