Zoning Amendment

If a different type of use, density, or minimum lot size, is required as part of a new project, then a rezoning is required.

The Zoning Bylaw is intended to guide the land use evolution of the District of Squamish in a systematic and orderly manner for the benefit of the community as a whole. It also ensures development is consistent with the Official Community Plan (OCP). The Zoning Bylaw divides all of Squamish into land use zones. A land use zone specifically regulates the use and density of land, siting, size, and dimensions of buildings and structures allowed in a specific area.

Zoning can only be changed by an amendment to the Zoning Bylaw as authorized by Council. This process requires a Public Hearing before the pending bylaw amendment is adopted by Council. The review process examines the impact of the proposed change on the community to ensure a positive contribution and consistency with the community’s standards of development.

The District of Squamish Zoning Bylaw establishes site-specific detail for how a piece of property can be used. Zoning for a parcel will address:

  • Permitted Uses;
  • Minimum lot sizes;
  • Maximum height;
  • maximum density/lot coverage;
  • Minimum setbacks;
  • The number of buildings per lot;
  • Fencing;
  • Off-street parking requirements; and
  • Any other relevant site controls.

What does a zoning amendment involve?

Changing the permitted uses, densities, and creating specific development controls (or a rezoning) for a parcel of land can only be done with a bylaw amendment. In Squamish, a bylaw amendment requires:

  • First two readings of the amending bylaw by Council;
  • A Public Hearing, where members of the Public are allowed to speak about the proposed changes the bylaw would permit;
  • Third Reading of the bylaw; and
  • Adoption (Fourth Reading) of the bylaw.

We use cookies to help improve our website for you.