After an Emergency

After a disaster has passed, recovery efforts begin to maintain or re-establish critical infrastructure. Resiliency centres may also be set up to assist those affected with longer term needs and return community services following an emergency or disaster.

Depending on the emergency, there are a number of provincial organizations to aid with the recovery. Please visit the BC Government’s response and recovery page to learn more, and explore the other potential resources below.


The provincial Emergency Support Services Program delivered by the District of Squamish and the Canadian Red Cross can provide evacuees with assistance for the first 72 hours after an incident.

After this 72-hour period, there are a number of agencies in the community that offer assistance.

The following is a list of contacts and other information to help you connect with the assistance you may require.


Medication – Pharmacy/Other Costs

  • BC College of Pharmacists has an Emergency Fill Policy for residents who need emergency refills of prescription medication. You can go to your regular Pharmacist (if possible) and explain your situation (i.e. cannot access medication due to fire). The pharmacist should provide you with an emergency supply of medication.
  • Additional costs not covered under Medicare needs to be worked out on an individual basis.

Replacing Personal Identification

  • RCMP – Call the non-emergency number 604-892-6100

Redirecting Mail 

Key Contacts

Driver's License: Motor Vehicle Branch


Passports: Passport Office


Birth, Death, Marriage Certificates


Provincial Government Care Card


Income Tax Records


Citizenship & Immigration Centre


Canada Pension Plan


Auto Registration, title cards etc.


Military Discharge






American Express


Bank Documents:

Your bank as soon as possible


  • Home Owner Insurance
  • Your plan may have coverage for Alternative Living Expenses. Please contact your insurance broker to determine what may be covered. Ensure that you are made aware of the maximum value for this coverage so that you do not exceed what is covered
  • Individual Content Insurance
  • If you have individual content insurance that can cover your damage costs, you will need to contact your insurance agent immediately to arrange for payment on purchases you are making. Be sure to keep all receipts. If your home is unfit to live in, you will want to confirm your insurance coverage for additional living expenses.
  • Because this was an evacuation where you were denied access to your home, you should also ask your agent whether you have prohibited access coverage.
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada - Assistance in resolving insurance related concerns is available by calling the Insurance Bureau of Canada Consumer Information Line at 604-684-3635 ext. 222, or toll free at 1-844-227-5422.


Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) is a provincial program to help individuals recover from uninsurable disasters. DFA is administered by Emergency Management B.C., part of the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General. It provides or reinstates the necessities of life, including help to repair and restore damaged homes and small businesses.

Emergency eligibility is determined by the Minister. 

Learn more about Disaster Financial Assistance.


BC Housing - long term housing options for displaced residents –  604-433-2218 and access to the following housing services

    • Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) - Helps make rents affordable for BC seniors with low to moderate incomes. SAFER provides monthly cash payments to subsidize rents for eligible BC residents who are age 60 or over and who pay rent for their homes. The links below provide more information on SAFER.

Eligibility Requirements:

    • You are age 60 or older
    • You pay more than 30% of your gross (before tax) monthly household income towards the rent for your home, including the cost of pad rental for a manufactured home (trailer) that your own and occupy.
    • Meet one of the following Citizenship requirements: Canadian citizen(s); or authorized to take up permanent residence in Canada; or Convention refugee(s).
    • You and your spouse (with whom you are living) have lived in British Columbia for the full 12 months immediately preceding your application; and

If you are eligible, SAFER may subsidize part of the rent that is over 30% of your income. The subsidy is calculated to give the most assistance to people with the least income. Call 604-433-2218 for further information and press 1.

    • Rental Assistance Program – Provides eligible low-income, working families with cash assistance to help with monthly rent payments.  Call 604-433-2218 and press 3.
    • Housing Registry - The Housing Registry Program provides subsidized housing for frail seniors, people at risk of homelessness, people with disabilities, and low-income families, including women and children fleeing abuse. Applicants must be resident of British Columbia. Call 604-433-2218 and press 2.

Homeowner Protection Office – Public Registry of Licensed Residential Builders and Building Envelope Renovators, New License and Owner Builder Authorization applications and the Licensed Builder Portal. 
Call: 604-646-7050 Toll Free in Canada: 1-800-407-7757     
Suite 650 – 4789 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC, V5H 0A3

Co-Op Housing Federation

    •  604 879-5111


    • Sea to Sky Community Services
    • RCMP Victim Services- Contact through RCMP at 604 892-6153


The Hotspot Community Resource Centre Helps people learn about and understand the systems and services available in Canada. Translation services (English/Punjabi).


The Salvation Army – Provides emergency service to individuals and families in distress including assistance with food clothing and furnishing.

North Vancouver Centre
105 12th Street West, North Vancouver, BC V7M 1N2

Canadian Red Cross
Burnaby Branch

604-709-6600 Fax: 604-709-6675
3400 Lake City Way, Burnaby, BC, V5A 4Y2


Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction 

1360 Pemberton St

Squamish BC V8B 0A7  

Service Canada Employment Insurance EI - Provides temporary financial assistance to unemployed Canadians who have lost their job through no fault of their own, while they look for work or upgrade their skills.

Toll free: 1-800-206-7218

1440 Winnipeg Street

Squamish, British Columbia
Monday – Friday 8:30 – 4:00 pm

General Inquiries 1-800-622-6232 which also covers Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Old Age Security (OAS), Social Insurance Number (SIN).

ICBC – Report a claim: 604-520-8222 open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or visit to report a claim online.

Post your comment


No one has commented on this page yet.

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments

We use cookies to help improve our website for you.