Animal Control

 To learn about the proposed off-leash areas, please visit the project page.


Animal Control staff enforce the Animal Control Bylaw and promote responsible pet ownership to ensure that our community is safe and enjoyable for everyone. We pick up stray dogs and reunite them with their owners, respond to complaints or concerns, investigate dog bite incidents, animal neglect, and excessive barking complaints. We enforce the leash law, dog licensing, dogs at large, and ensure that people scoop the poop.

Through Bylaw Services and Animal Control you can: report animal control bylaw violations, adopt a dog, report your lost dog, or just talk to our knowledgeable staff. 

Our shelter is a maximum adoption facility. Every effort is made to reunite lost dogs with their owners and to re-home adoptable dogs. Adoptable dogs are those that show no signs of behavioural defects that could pose a health or safety risk to the public and have shown no signs of disease, injury or conditions that could adversely affect the health of the dog. There is no time limit for animals in our care. As long as they are happy and healthy, we will continue to try to find them their forever home.

If you would like to apply to become a forever home for an adoptable dog, please fill in this form and return it to the RCMP front counter on Finch Drive for the attention of Animal Control.


Animal Control does not have the jurisdiction to respond to complaints involving wildlife. Please report injured or problem wildlife or sightings of dangerous wildlife to the BC Conservation Officer Service at 1-877-952-7277 or *7277 from your cell phone.

Animal Control cannot deal with pests like skunks, raccoons or nuisance wildlife, nor can we lend equipment for trapping them. Please contact a professional for help.

Contact us:

During business hours

For aggressive dogs at large after business hours, contact the RCMP at 604.892.6100 or 911.

We use cookies to help improve our website for you.